1/2 Photos of Algerian Garantita / Karanteta - Chickpea / Garbanzo Souffle
Um Safia's Note:
Garantita is one of the most famous dishes in Algeria. It is made in every home & is a very popular 'fast food'. Traditionally, it is cooked until just firm around the edges, golden on top & nice and squishy in the middle (a BIT like souffle), then sliced (with difficulty!) & placed in a baguette with harissa. Chickpea flour is readily available in all Indian grocers (also known as Besan) or in Middle Eastern grocers. You can also make your own by grinding dry chick peas. This is our much requested family recipe......
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil (you can use vegetable or canola also)
- 2 -3 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons cumin
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 2Place all your ingredients (except the egg & those required to serve!) in a large blender / liquidizer - you may need to do this in 2 batches --
- 3Liquidize the mixture until it is frothy & completely smooth.
- 4Pour this batter into a 7" x 11" rectangular pan - I like to use my pyrex dish.
- 5Whisk the egg, then pour over the top of the batter.
- 6Cook for around 45 minutes or until the top is lightly golden but the middle is still slightly squishy / sloppy (unless you like it firmer, in which case cook it 5 - 10 minutes more).
- 7Slice the garantita into 8 pieces (a large, wide spatula or cake knife is useful for this!)
- 8Cut each baguette into 1/4's, then split open & remove a little of the inner bread.
- 9Spread the bottom of each 1/4 of baguette with 1/2 tbsp of the harissa & lay the garantita on top. Sprinkle with a little cumin then cover with the top of the baguette - to make a sandwhich.
- 10Eat whilst hot & enjoy a taste sensation!
- 11If you have any Selecto to drink, it makes the perfect accompanyment!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Algerian Garantita / Karanteta - Chickpea / Garbanzo Souffle
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.2
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 23.2 mg
- Sodium 733.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 8.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: