1/2 Photos of Algerian Couscous
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Early inhabitants of Algeria were the Christian Berbers who were early cultivaters of wheat and thus semolina. Algerian cuisine is influenced by that of Arabs, Europeans, and Asians.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 eggplant
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 lb chicken thigh (4 ea)
- 1 lb lamb, cut into 2-inch cubes
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 7 ounces green beans or 7 ounces peas
- 9 ounces artichoke hearts
- 15 ounces chickpeas, cooked and drained (canned are fine)
- 1Slice eggplant crosswise, sprinkle with a little salt, toss in a colander, and let drain for 20 minutes; rinse and pat dry.
- 2Heat oil in a Dutch oven, over medium-low heat; add onions, carrot, peppers, eggplant, chicken, and lamb.
- 3Cover with water, bring to a boil, season with salt and pepper, cover, reduce heat and let simmer 45 minutes.
- 4Add tomatoes and green beans, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, prepare the couscous: melt butter in a sauce pan over medium-low heat; cook the shallots until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- 6Add stock, season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- 7Stir in couscous, being careful that no clumps form, cover, remove from heat and let sit 10 minutes.
- 8Add artichokes and chickpeas to the stew snd heat through.
- 9To serve: Pile couscous in the center of a serving platter in a cone shape; spoon stew around couscous.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Algerian Couscous
Serving Size: 1 (695 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 775.6
- Calories from Fat 313
- Total Fat 34.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 122.5 mg
- Sodium 520.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.0 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 40.2 g