Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
I learned how to make this in France from some Algerian friends. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons tomato puree
- 3 -4 whole cloves
- 3 medium zucchini
- 4 small yellow squash
- 3⁄4 large carrot
- 4 medium yellow potatoes, skins on
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in vegetable stock over med. low heat until translucent.
- Add all spices and cook for a few more minutes, stirring as needed.
- Add tomato paste, stir and simmer 2 minutes.
- Cut the vegetables in large chunks and add all (not the beans) and a dash of cinnamon; add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for an hour or so.
- (This can cook slowly for 2-3 hours, if desired.).
- Add the drained garbanzos about 5 minutes before you take the veggies off the heat.
- Put couscous in a bowl.
- Pour boiling water over couscous and wait about 5 minutes.
- Fluff with fork. (Ratio of about 1 1/2:1 of water to couscous.).
- For added flavor, add some of the liquid from the veggie stew to the couscous in place of some of the water.
- Serve the stew over the couscous. Enjoy!