1/1 Photo of Algerian Chicken & Chickpea Soup ( Chorba / Shorba)
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Um Safia's Note:
I love this soup! During Ramadan we have it at least twice a week as everyone likes it - even my little children! I think key to this being so delicious is the preserved lemon....it really adds so much to it. I also cook this in the pressure cooker: seal chicken add all ingredients except coriander / cilantro & lemon juice. Cook on medium/high for 45 minutes. Add remaining ingredients & simmer with lid off for 1 min. Re-season & serve. This soup freezes really well, bag into portions & freeze. De-frost, re-heat, add a little more cilantro, lemon juice & ras el hanout & it's as good as before!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 -4 chicken drumsticks
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons ras el hanout spice mix
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 1 liter water
- 500 g canned chick-peas
- 400 g chopped canned tomatoes
- 1/4 preserved lemon, very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1Place oil in a large pan, add the chicken & fry to seal all over. Add the spices & fry for a minute more.
- 2Add all the other ingredients except the coriander / cilantro, chickpeas & the lemon juice. Bring to the boil then reduce heat, cover & simmer 1 hour.
- 3Add the chickpeas to the pan. Take the chicken from the pan & remove all the meat from the bones, shred & put back into the pan. Simmer for a further 20 minutes.
- 4If the soup is the consistency you like, you can add the coriander / cilantro & lemon juice now. Simmer for 1 minute, re-season if desired & then serve.
- 5If you feel the soup needs to be a little thicker, you can either reduce it down by cooking further or thicken with plain flour.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Algerian Chicken & Chickpea Soup ( Chorba / Shorba)
Serving Size: 1 (556 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 264.7
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 34.6 mg
- Sodium 619.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 16.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ras el hanout spice mix