Cook1 hr 30 mins
I love this soup! During Ramadan we have it at least twice a week as everyone likes it - even my little children! I think key to this being so delicious is the preserved lemon....it really adds so much to it. I also cook this in the pressure cooker: seal chicken add all ingredients except coriander / cilantro & lemon juice. Cook on medium/high for 45 minutes. Add remaining ingredients & simmer with lid off for 1 min. Re-season & serve. This soup freezes really well, bag into portions & freeze. De-frost, re-heat, add a little more cilantro, lemon juice & ras el hanout & it's as good as before!
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 -4 chicken drumsticks
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons ras el hanout spice mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 1 liter water
- 500 g canned chick-peas
- 400 g chopped canned tomatoes
- 1⁄4 preserved lemon, very finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Place oil in a large pan, add the chicken & fry to seal all over. Add the spices & fry for a minute more.
- Add all the other ingredients except the coriander / cilantro, chickpeas & the lemon juice. Bring to the boil then reduce heat, cover & simmer 1 hour.
- Add the chickpeas to the pan. Take the chicken from the pan & remove all the meat from the bones, shred & put back into the pan. Simmer for a further 20 minutes.
- If the soup is the consistency you like, you can add the coriander / cilantro & lemon juice now. Simmer for 1 minute, re-season if desired & then serve.
- If you feel the soup needs to be a little thicker, you can either reduce it down by cooking further or thicken with plain flour.
i love this soup will give it , i thought i make the best one but yours is very nice