Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The 'Thousand Holes' pancake with yeast.
- 2 cups fine semolina
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (optional)
- Combine all dry ingredients with the eggs.
- Add the water and the milk a little at a time until you achieve a thick but runny consistency.
- Heat a little oil in the frying pan then add just under a ladleful of batter and immediately start swirling it round the pan to get a nice even layer. Leave some space near the rim so it can come out easier.
- Watch the holes as they appear and leave it on the heat until the top dries out.
- Traditional beghrir is quite thick and you only cook one side. However I do like them a bit thinner. That also means you are able to turn them and lightly cook the other side. It should not take more than a minute.
- Serve it with honey, jam or nutella.