Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is my family recipe for adess. I often cook it in the pressure cooker as it saves a lot of time! This recipe freezes well & is simple to make.
- 2 cups green lentils
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 courgette, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon ras el hanout spice mix
- olive oil, to fry
- 2 pints water
- 1 lamb stock cube or 1 beef stock cube
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (if not soaking lentils)
- 4 pieces lamb or 4 pieces chicken, enough for your family
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tomato puree (or paste)
- Gently fry onion & garlic until golden, add meat, seal all sides, then add rest of ingredients.
- Cook in pressure cooker on medium heat for 40 - 45 minutes Add more water if you like it thinner consitency. Serve with plently of olive oil & bread!
- NB: You can also put the lentils in a bowl to soak overnight or during day before you cook & omit the bicarb.
This is a great winter dish for me, and works wel in a family that loves lentils. I found this to be more of a stew than a soup, but no one really minded that.