1 hr 15 mins
Paella is a perfect food for taking on a picnic since it can be enjoyed at room temperature and feeds a crowd. This version has only seafood, no chicken, and no sausages.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- kosher salt
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 5 large plum tomatoes, halved
- 2 red bell peppers, cored and diced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika (preferably sweet Spanish pimenton dulce)
- 4 cups fish stock or 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups short-grain rice (bomba or Calasparra paella rice, if available)
- 1 cup fresh peas or 1 cup frozen peas
- 12 ounces squid rings
- 1 1/2 lbs mussels or 1 1/2 lbs clams
- 12 ounces large shrimp, peeled with tails intact
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- lemon wedge, for serving
- 1Use a mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, and combine egg yolks, garlic, saffron, and a pinch of salt; whisk at high speed, while adding oil, drop by drop (this is important because otherwise mixture will not thicken properly).
- 2As the aioli begins to thicken you can increase the oil to a thin stream; adjust seasonings with a squeeze of lemon juice and/or more salt, if needed.
- 3In a paella pan with lid or large deep-sided skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat; add onion and saute until softened and golden, about 15 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, coarsely grate the tomatoes, cut side, until only the skins remain and discard skins; you should have about 2 cups of tomatoes.
- 5Stir the tomatoes, peppers, and bay leaves into the onions; season with paprika.
- 6Simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid evaporates, about 15 minutes.
- 7Add the stock, bring to a boil, then stir in the rice; reduce heat to medium and simmer 10 minutes, stirring to prevent the rice from sticking.
- 8Stir in the peas, squid, mussels or clams, and shrimp; turn heat to low and simmer until nearly all the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- 9Cover with lid, remove from heat, and let rest 5 to 10 minutes; sprinkle with parsley and let cool.
- 10Serve with saffron aioli and lemon wedges.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alfresco Dining - Seafood Paella and Saffron Aioli
Serving Size: 1 (502 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1014.5
- Calories from Fat 553
- Total Fat 61.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 310.1 mg
- Sodium 943.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 42.4 g