Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
This is my son's favorite meal. I make it with shrimp for him for his birthday every year. GREAT for company because it is so easy and yet taste wonderful! I cook this in the microwave, but I'm sure you could do it on the stove too. Times are what work in my microwave. Please use your own good judgment on times to use in your microwave. (In my quest to eat healthier, I now make it with light butter, light cream and reduced fat Parmesan cheese. It still tastes wonderful, but there isn't any guilt!) PLEASE NOTE! This is an "authentic" Alfredo sauce recipe! Real Alfredo sauce *only* contains butter, cream, Parmesan cheese and pepper. It will be thin and there is no garlic in it! If you want a thicker sauce or one with garlic like modern restaurants serve, please look elsewhere! Olive Garden Garlic Alfredo Sauce and Olive Garden Fettuccine Alfredo are two good places to start.
Top Review by PatriotsGirl
I come from a large Italian family and this is definitely an authentic alfredo sauce, similar to how my grandmother makes it. I think the problem people have with blandness is that they are not using high quality cheese. I use freshly grated aged Locatelli pecorino romano, and it adds plenty of punch to this recipe without tweaking it at all. Plain old parmesan would definitely make for a bland sauce...buy high quality Italian cheese and see what a difference it makes :-)
- 1⁄4 lb sweet butter (1/2 cup, light butter works fine!)
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup light cream
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Place butter in microwave safe pot and heat on high for 30 seconds or until melted.
- Add cream and warm on high for approximately 1 minute.
- Add Parmesan cheese and warm until cheese melts.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. (If serving with shrimp, you might not need much salt.).
- Pour over 4 servings of warm noodles (I use angel hair) and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
- Notes: I serve it with cubed, grilled or broiled chicken breast mixed in with the noodles or shrimp. Add a green salad and you have a complete meal. I have used margarine and canned Parmesan cheese and it worked fine.