Finally, finally! I finally found an alfredo sauce recipe that doesn't use cream and still tastes good! I have concocted this dish with shrimp and broccoli, but do use the sauce anytime you want a creamy alfredo-type sauce; it's very good and very versatile. And the sauce can be prepared while the pasta cooks; even better!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups dry penne pasta
- 1 head fresh broccoli
- 1 lb shelled cooked shrimp, any size (defrosted, if frozen)
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups evaporated low-fat milk
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Put on a large pot of salted water to boil; when boiling, cook penne till al dente stage and drain well.
- 2Meanwhile, wash and trim broccoli (or just use frozen), slice into bite size pieces and florets, and microwave until crisp-tender, about 3 or 4 minutes; drain well and set aside.
- 3Have cooked shrimp waiting in the fridge.
- 4In a large heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- 5Whisk in flour, then gradually whisk in milk and stock; keep whisking to ensure the mixture has no lumps.
- 6When sauce comes to a boil, stir in parmesan cheese; when thoroughly combined, stir in broccoli and shrimp.
- 7Let mixture come back to a bubbling simmer, then let simmer for 1 or 2 minutes-- just long enough for the shrimp to warm up.
- 8Add freshly ground black pepper to taste, and stir.
- 9Turn off heat, stir in well-drained pasta, and pour mixture into an attractive serving bowl; serve hot.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alfredo Perfecto
Serving Size: 1 (357 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 637.2
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 288.6 mg
- Sodium 797.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 40.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
evaporated low-fat milk