Recipe by goddessindoorway
This is fantastic! I found it on lowcarbfriends.com when my husband started Atkins. I usually leave out the mushrooms & muenster cheese, but only because I didn't have them on hand the first time I made this, so that's what I'm used to. You can also substitute the parmesan cheese with pecorino romano. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed & drained
- 8 ounces heavy cream (make sure it's heavy cream, or it will be way too runny!)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 8 ounces parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces muenster cheese, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken breasts in a baking dish, sprinkle with salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- While chicken is baking, prepare topping and sauce: in a small skillet over medium heat, saute onions and mushrooms in 1 tablespoon of butter until onions are translucent and soft. Add spinach and continue to cook until mixture is fairly dry.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt 1 stick of butter. When butter has melted, add cream and heat until just hot. Add parmesan cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
- At the end of 30 minutes, remove foil and spoon spinach mixture over chicken breasts. Pour sauce over everything, and top with muenster cheese. Do not recover. Return to oven and bake until it is bubbly, about 10 - 15 minutes.