While they have origins in Moorish Spain, alfajores are especially popular in South America. They are simple shortbread sandwich cookies with a sweet filling of Dulce De Leche (Latin American Caramel Spread). Different doughs are used for the cookies depending on the country. Some use normal flour dough, while others add cornstarch or even cassava flour for a more delicate crumb. This recipe uses a mixture of flour and cornstarch. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift the cornstarch, flour and baking powder together in a medium bowl. In a mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, beating until they are incorporated.
- 2Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture in 3 batches, allowing each batch to become incorporated before adding the next.
- 3Form the dough into a disc without handling it too much. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 4Preheat oven to 350°F Remove the dough to a lightly floured work surface and roll out to about 1/8-inch thick. Cut out 40 2-inch rounds, and carefully place the rounds on two lightly greased cookie sheets.
- 5Bake for 9 to 10 minutes, but not so long that they begin to brown. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Then remove the cookies to wire racks and cool completely.
- 6Spread about 2 teaspoons of dulce de leche on the flat half of a cookie and cover it with the flat half of another cookie to form a sandwich. Repeat with the remaining cookies.
- 7If desired, sprinkle the finished cookies with powdered sugar.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alfajores (South American Dulce De Leche Sandwich Cookies)
Serving Size: 1 (609 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 142.2
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 34.9 mg
- Sodium 20.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dulce de leche