1/3 Photos of Alfajores De Maizena
I love these! They are a delicious sweet cookie from Argentina. They are a sandwich cookie - biscuit type cookie with Dulce De Leche in the middle then rolled in coconut. Sometimes they're called "cornstarch cookies". My mother-in-law first introduced these to me. She would make mine with crushed nuts or shaved white chocolate on the outside though as I have an allergy to coconut. Also, you can add 1 tablespoon of cognac for the traditional recipe, but I usually don't. ** You can buy Dulce de Leche in Spanish grocer or some of the larger supermarkets sell it by the condensed milk, if not, follow below... For the Dulce de Leche: Pour the two cans of condensed milk into a double boiler set over low heat. Cook milk, stirring once in a while, for 2-4 hours, until mixture thickens and becomes caramel-like. Remove from double boiler and refrigerate until needed. Mixture will firm with chilling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar gradually, beating until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and lemon rind.
- 2Sift together the cornstarch, flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, beating until thoroughly combined.
- 3Drop the batter by small spoonfuls onto well buttered baking sheets. Leave enough space between the cookies because they will spread.
- 4Bake in a 350 degrees oven 15 minutes. Immediately remove from the baking sheets and let cool.
- 5When cool, spread some Dulce de leche on the bottom half of the cookies and make a sandwich with the remaining cookies. Squeeze the sandwiches so that some of the dulce de leche is squeezed out the sides, and roll the sides in the grated coconut.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alfajores De Maizena
Serving Size: 1 (61 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 364.7
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 87.8 mg
- Sodium 226.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 2.6 g