Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe used to be printed on the Tofurkey box, but no longer. My vegan son loves this, as does everyone else that tries it.
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 cups vegetable stock (I prefer "Better than Bouillon" Mushroom bouillon base) or 4 cups bouillon (I prefer "Better than Bouillon" Mushroom bouillon base) or 4 cups soymilk (I prefer "Better than Bouillon" Mushroom bouillon base)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Saute onions in 2 tbsps oil in a medium skillet on medium heat until they begin to soften, 2-3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and continue to saute until mushrooms are softened, 2-4 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a medium sauce pan (should hold at least 6 cups), heat 1/2 cup of oil over medium heat. Add flour and bubble for 1-2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Whisk in stock, bouillon, or soymilk along with soy sauce and pepper.
- Cook until thickened and bubbly, whisking out lumps.
- Stir in the mushrooms and onions and heat through.
Yum! Yum! Yum! If you love mushrooms, you'll love this gravy! Mmmmm.