1 hr 10 mins
This is my absolute favourite and just a little different from all the others I have seen. The whole wheat flour makes all the difference
My Private Note
inch do ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup chilled leaf lard
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1To make the crust.
- 2Mix salt and flour well.
- 3mix butter and lard.
- 4cut the half the fat mixture into the flour with a pastry cutter or 2 butter knives.
- 5when it is well mixed it will be about the same grain as cornmeal
- 6add the rest of the fat mixture and cut in until it has about pea sized grain
- 7sprinkle about 4 tablespoons water over the dough and mix lightly until it form a ball
- 8do not overwork once you add the water.
- 9divide in half and roll the dough out into 2 rounds about 1/4 inch think.
- 10Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 11place one round into a pie plate.
- 12Peel and slice the apples and put them into a bowl.
- 13in another bowl mix the sugar salt cornstarch and spices
- 14sift the sugar mixture over the apple mixture and mix well
- 15place the apple mixture into the pie crust.
- 16dot with butter and sprinkle with lemon and vanilla.
- 17Only add the lemon rind if the apples are bland.
- 18wet the edges of the crust and place the second round over the pie to form the top crust.
- 19make some slashes to allow steam to escape or do as I do an make a few cuts with a miniature cookie cutter ( I use hearts or leaves) pinch and trim the edges.
- 20sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake for 10 minutes.
- 21reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake until done 35-40 minutes.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alex's Old Fashioned Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (122 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 240.2
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 13.3 mg
- Sodium 370.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 20.6 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: