Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
My Brother-Inlaw used to make this cake and now we are just as happy to use this recipe. It keeps very well and tastes realy good. Serve plain or with whipped cream.
- 250 g cream cheese or 250 g ricotta cheese
- 250 g butter
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 250 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs (59 gr)
- 350 g self rising flour
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (approx)
- Beat cream cheese, butter and lemon rind together until smooth,
- Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time,.
- stir in flour in two batches,.
- beat lightly ulntil smooth.
- Spoon into well greased 20cm ring or baba tin.
- Bake in moderate oven (l60C) for 30 minutes,.
- reduce heat to moderatle slow (140C) and bake for a further 30 minutes.
- let stand in tin 10 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack.
- When cold top with lemon glaze.
- LEMON GLAZE:.
- Sift icing sugar into bowl,.
- beat in enough lemon juice to give a less than pouring consistency.
- Cake will freeze well for up to 2 month.
- Freeze without glaze and top with glaze several hours before serving.
This was such an easy cake to make and to eat. I used ricotta in mine and possibly overcooked it a tad but that is due to my oven. This cake could have lots of different flavours added and I love that type of versatility.