Recipe by Daymented
An easy meal that makes for great leftovers.
Top Review by Grace-AK
Enjoyed by all, but especially by my husband, the dish was a breeze to make. I added two diced chicken breasts which I cooked in a pot and added the onions to. I also added 4 cloves of garlic, but the dish still was a little bland for my tastes. I think it could have used a little less spinach, more a little more garlic, maybe some sausage would have made it more appealing to my tastes. But what matters most is that everyone else at the potluck I took it too really liked it!
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen chopped spinach
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (I use one with basil and oregano and another with onions and garlic)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces crumbled feta cheese (we use more than this)
- 2⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces pasta (like ziti or some other large, sturdy pasta shape)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Begin boiling water for pasta.
- In a large skillet, saute chopped onion in olive oil.
- Put spinach in a microwave-safe dish and heat until you can press out most of the water- this was about five minutes at 80% power for me- much easier if you remember ahead of time to put frozen bag of spinach in the fridge the day before, then just heat and press out water.
- Once onions are soft, add tomatoes (partially drained) and spinach, stir gently, and turn to medium low.
- Drain pasta when cooked, scatter half in a 9x13 dish.
- Add half the veggie goop, half the crumbled feta, and the cream.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Repeat with the second half of ingredients.
- Stir lightly.
- Cover all with a coating of grated parmesan.
- Bake about 30 minutes, lightly covered with foil (remove during last few minutes to give cheese on top a bit of a"crust").