1/1 Photo of Alex Guarnaschelli's Mother Chicken With BBQ
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Chef Sarita in Austin Texas's Note:
From Food Network's Alex's day off. I made this and the sauce is so good. Easy to prepare. Sauce can be made ahead of time and stored until ready to use. Sometimes, when all I use is chicken thighs or legs, then I half the sauce because it make alot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups ketchup
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup light soy sauce
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard (preferably Colman's)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup chili powder
- 1 knob fresh ginger, peeled and cut in 3 pieces (about 4 inches)
- 5 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 lemons, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 4 -5 lbs chicken parts, a mixture of light and dark meat, all relatively the same size
- kosher salt
- 1Prepare the barbeque sauce:
- 2In a medium saucepan or a large high-sided saute pan, combine the ketchup, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, light brown sugar, dark brown sugar, dry mustard, Dijon mustard and chili powder. Whisk to blend. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the ginger, garlic and lemon slices and stir to combine. Simmer until the vinegar mellows slightly and the flavors start to meld together, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Discard the ginger pieces.
- 3Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Position the rack in the lower third of the oven. Line a baking sheet (or, if needed, 2 baking sheets) with foil. Season the chicken parts on both sides with salt, to taste. Pour about 1 1/2 cups of the barbeque sauce into a large bowl. Reserve the remaining sauce on the side. Submerge the chicken pieces in the sauce and arrange them on the prepared baking sheet with some of the lemon slices. The chicken should all be in a single layer with a little space between them. If additional space is needed, use the second baking sheet. Brush with barbeque sauce.
- 4Put the baking sheet(s) in the oven and bake, undisturbed, for 20 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven and use a pair of metal tings to turn the pieces to the other side. Use a pastry brush to coat the second side of the chicken with the barbeque sauce from the bowl. Do not reuse that bowl or brush again. Return the sheet(s) to the oven and cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes. Poke a thigh with the tip of a small knife and verify the chicken juices run's clear. and not pink. Turn the broiler on and broil for a minute until the chicken is charred on top.
- 5Warm the reserved barbeque sauce in a small saucepan over low heat. Pour into a serving bowl.
- 6Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and serve immediately with the warm sauce on the side.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alex Guarnaschelli's Mother Chicken With BBQ
Serving Size: 1 (638 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1763.3
- Calories from Fat 562
- Total Fat 62.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 352.4 mg
- Sodium 5172.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 188.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.2 g
- Sugars 154.2 g
- Protein 122.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: