Recipe by tunasushi
I love making this and putting different fillings etc in it...such buns are extremely popular in Asia
Top Review by Sundog1973
It is a tragedy that this recipe only has three stars. First, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the measurements or ingredients. This has been my go-to sweet dough recipe for years, and it has never failed. Ignore the inexperienced two-star baker and use this recipe with confidence!
- 480 g bread flour
- 120 g all-purpose flour
- 110 g sugar
- 20 g powdered milk
- 4 teaspoons instant yeast (not fast rising or anything like that, just regular instant baker's yeast)
- 1 egg
- 300 ml cold water
- 60 g butter
- 10 g salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flours, milk powder, yeast and sugar in a big bowl.
- Add the egg and cold water and mix to form a dough. Add in the butter and salt and knead till a smooth dough forms. This takes a while.
- At first the dough will be greasy and seem as if there is too much butter in it. But as you knead and knead and knead, it will eventually get to the point you want it to be.
- Cover with clingwrap and let rise for about 1 hour or till doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 380 farenheit.
- Divide dough into portions of 50 or 60 gm each. Shape into balls and leave it to rest for abt 10 minutes Roll out dough and wrap with desired fillings. Shape as required and let it proof on lined or greased baking tray for another 50-60 mins or until dough is double in size.
- Brush dough with egg wash, or milk, if you want it to be less brown, and bake till golden brown and cooked.
- Immediately brush with melted butter after taking it out of the oven and cover with a tea cloth to give it a soft crust.