I have made many different Tiramisus, this one is one of the best and very authentic. The recipe actually came from the package of Alessi Savoiardi Cookies.
- 5 large egg yolks, from large grade eggs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup marsala
- 1 cup whipping cream, chilled
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 lb mascarpone cheese
- 2 cups freshly brewed espresso or 2 cups strong coffee
- 1⁄2 cup brandy or 1⁄2 cup marsala
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 (14 ounce) packagesalessi Savoiardi cookies
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- chocolate curls or fresh edible flower (to garnish) (optional)
- Zabaglione Cream: In the top part of a double boiler, beat eggs and sugar together until the mixture is pale yellow in color.
- In the bottom part of the double boiler, bring water to a boil then reduce heat to simmer.
- Place egg yolk mixture over water and gradually add Marsala, beating continously.
- Scrape bottom and sides of pan occasionally and cook 6 to 10 minutes or until soft mounds can be formed.
- Transfer to bowl, cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Whip cream with 2 Tbsp.
- sugar until soft peaks form.
- Fold in Mascarpone and Zabaglione and mix until well blended.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- In a separate bowl, mix espresso, 2 Tbsp.
- sugar, Brandy and vanilla.
- Arrange cookies on the bottom of a 9" by 13" pan.
- Carefully spoon about 1 Tbsp.
- of the coffee mixture over each cookie so they are well saturated but not falling apart.
- Spoon 1/2 cheese mixture over cookies and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp.
- Repeat one more time ending with cocoa.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 5 hours or overnight so that cookies can soften as they absorb moisture.
- Garnish and serve.