Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
My husband says we "speed date" food because I love playing with ingredients and am constantly creating new recipes. My family becomes attached to certain recipes and wants me to make the same things over and over and over again. My husband says that asking for spaghetti twice in one month is not asking for the same thing over and over again. :D It feels like it to me though, especially since it isn't just spaghetti they want at least twice a month, they also want tacos a couple of times a month, Teriyaki Chicken, and Pasta Alfredo, and... I have come up with a way to compromise on my family's desire for their favorite recipes and my need to create new ones: I use the ingredients from their favorite recipes in new ways. So instead of making Pasta Alfredo with Vegetables, I used the ingredients to make Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Lasagna. It was an all-around success; it had all the flavors they love and I got to feel like I was creating something new.
- 9 -12 lasagna noodles (use gluten-free noodles to make this recipe gluten-free)
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 -4 cups alfredo sauce (reserve 1/4-1/2 cup for the top)
Alfredo Sauce Ingredients
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (or 4 tablespoons flour)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (or 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (or 1 tablespoon dried parsley)
- 1 dash pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a casserole dish with oil.
- Cook noodles according to package directions and drain.
- Make the Alfredo Sauce while the noodles are cooking.
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pot. Once the butter is melted add cornstarch or flour. Stir until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat until the mixture is smooth and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Add milk slowly, stirring until well blended.
- Add broth, 2 cups of cheese, garlic powder, parsley and pepper. Stir over medium heat, until cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Spoon a small amount of sauce on the bottom of a greased 9x13-inch pan. Place 3-4 lasagna noodles on the bottom. Place 1 cup of cut chicken and 2 cups of broccoli on top of the noodles. Spoon 1-1 1/2 cups Alfredo Sauce over the chicken and broccoli.
- Place 3-4 lasagna noodles on top of the Alfredo Sauce. Place 1 cup of cut chicken and 2 cups of broccoli on top of the noodles. Spoon 1-1 1/2 cups Alfredo Sauce over the chicken and broccoli.
- Place 3-4 lasagna noodles on top of the Alfredo Sauce. Spread the remaining Alfredo Sauce on top of the noodles. Place the remaining chicken and broccoli over the Alfredo Sauce. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the broccoli and chicken.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 5-10 minutes, until the cheese just starts to brown.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Does your family want the same recipes over and over again or do they like lots of variety?