Recipe by PiceSeasGirl
This is a recipe from the Howe Sound Inn and Brewing Company in Squamish, BC Canada. It was published in a newspaper years ago, and I held on to it. Good thing, as no longer live there but I can still enjoy the tastes from where I grew up. This soup goes great with the Butter-Beer Bread (Butter-Beer Bread)
Top Review by Ocean
I can not BELIEVE I found this recipe! I also lived in Squamish, B.C. and have since moved. I was sitting here talking to my husband about how much I missed this crazy good soup from this brewery. Thought I`d look for a recipe to try and duplicate it. Well you can imagine my pleasure and surprise to find THE recipe! THANK-YOU for saving and posting this recipe!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 slices double smoked bacon, Cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large white onion, Chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups amber ale
- 2 large baking potatoes, Peeled and Cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups old cheddar cheese, Grated
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper, Freshly Ground
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat.
- Add bacon and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add onion; sauté for 2 minutes or until tender.
- Add flour; reduce heat to medium; cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add stock and ale; increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Transfer soup in batched to the food processor and process until smooth.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Stir in cream, salt and pepper.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Note: Do not boil this soup again or it will curdle.