This is a recipe from the Howe Sound Inn and Brewing Company in Squamish, BC Canada. It was published in a newspaper years ago, and I held on to it. Good thing, as no longer live there but I can still enjoy the tastes from where I grew up. This soup goes great with the Butter-Beer Bread (Butter-Beer Bread)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 slices double smoked bacon, Cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large white onion, Chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups amber ale
- 2 large baking potatoes, Peeled and Cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups old cheddar cheese, Grated
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper, Freshly Ground
- 1In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat.
- 2Add bacon and sauté for 1 minute.
- 3Add onion; sauté for 2 minutes or until tender.
- 4Add flour; reduce heat to medium; cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- 5Add stock and ale; increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- 6Add potatoes; return to a boil.
- 7Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 8Transfer soup in batched to the food processor and process until smooth.
- 9Add cheese and stir until melted.
- 10Stir in cream, salt and pepper.
- 11Taste and adjust seasonings.
- 12Note: Do not boil this soup again or it will curdle.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ale and Cheddar Soup
Serving Size: 1 (248 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 387.6
- Calories from Fat 241
- Total Fat 26.8 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 85.0 mg
- Sodium 638.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 16.6 g