Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Source: Emeril Lagasse (www.foodtv.com)
- 1⁄4 cup bacon grease or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place the bacon grease in a 10-inch black cast iron skillet and swirl to coat the sides and bottom evenly.
- Place skillet in the oven to heat.
- In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg, and melted butter.
- Add to dry ingredients and stir just to combine.
- Remove the hot skillet from the oven, carefully swirl to evenly distribute hot grease, and quickly pour the cornmeal batter into the skillet.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until firm and golden brown on top.
- Let sit for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cutting board.
- Cut into wedges and serve hot with butter on the side.
Thank heavens!!! A cornbread recipe without sugar! My mother grew up in San Antonio and our cornbread was NEVER SWEET! I can't stand sweet cornbread! I will definitly try this. Mother always served cornbread with a good pot of homemade chili made with pinto beans. She always made it with beef, but when she became a health foodie, she made it with ground turkey!