4 hrs 15 mins
This pot roast needs no knives... it's tender and absolutely delicious. "Alcatra" comes from the term "alcatre", the Portuguese word for "rump", indicating that rump roast is preferred there for pot roasts, but I've prepared this with sirloin tip roast as well with fabulous results.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large heavy Dutch oven, saute the bacon in the olive oil until drippings are rendered and bacon is browned a bit and crisp; transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- 2In the bacon drippings, brown the beef roast well on all sides over moderately high heat.
- 3Transfer to the plate with bacon, then add onions, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns and cloves to the Dutch oven.
- 4Saute about 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 5Blend in tomato paste, lower the heat, cover and steam for 20 minutes.
- 6Remove and set aside half of the tomato-onion mixture; place the beef roast back into the Dutch oven with the bacon, then spoon remaining tomato-onion mixture on top.
- 7Carefully pour the wine and salt around the beef roast and bring to a simmer.
- 8Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 9Cove and bake in the 375 degree oven for 2 hours; remove and turn beef over in the liquid.
- 10Lower oven temperature to 325 degrees F then bake uncovered about 1 hour longer or until meat is falling-apart tender (and it will be!).
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alcatra ( Portuguese Pot Roast With Wine, Bacon & Garlic)
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 175.2
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 9.6 mg
- Sodium 389.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 2.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless beef rump roast