Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Mexican Meatball and Tomato Soup.
- 1⁄2 lb ground sirloin
- 1 zucchini
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped peeled and seeded tomatoes or 1 1⁄2 cups canned imported crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 lb acini di pepe pasta
- 1 lime
- Put meat in mixing bowl.
- Trim ends of zucchini. Cut into 1/8" slices. Stack the slices and cut into strips 1/8" wide. Stack the strips and cut into 1/8" cubes.
- Add zucchini to meat.
- Heat 1 tbl of oil in small skillet and add 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon garlic. Cook, stirring, until onions wilt. Cool briefly, and then add to meat. Add the coriander, oregano, cumin, egg, salt and pepper. Blend well.
- Shape meat mixture into 24 small meatballs.
- Heat the remaining oil in skillet and add remaining onion and garlic. Cook until wilted.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer 10 minutes, stiriing often. Pour the mixture into container of food processor and blend well. Or, you can use an immersion blender. Return the tomato mixture to a saucepan.
- Add the stock, tomato juice and tomato sauce, bring to a boil. Add the meatballs and let simmer 20 minutes. Carefully skim the surface as soup cooks. Serve in hot bowls garnished with the macaroni, chopped coriander and a squeeze of fresh lime.