Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mexican Meatball soup, Very good hearty soup with everything for a good meal during any part of year but especially winter time
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 6 medium potatoes, cubed
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 1 whole onion, chopped
- 4 zucchini, chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, chopped
- 3 ears corn, halved (broke in half)
- 1⁄4 cup cooked rice
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 cup corn flakes
- salt and pepper
- In a large dutch oven fill to a little over 1/2 full with water, add beef boullion to water, cut up vegetables, and stewed tomatoes, except zucchini and cabbage they will go in last. and place into pot bring to boil. and then you will add meat mixture.
- in a large mixing bowl combine raw hamberger meat cooked rice, corn flakes, cilantro mix all ingredients and form meat into balls. in boiling water drop meat balls in and let them boil for about 25 minutes, about the last 5 minutes of boiling add chopped cabbage and zucchini and salt and pepper to taste.
- can be served with mexican rice made separately and corn tortillas.
- ** Hint you are wondering about the corn flakes and why they are needed, they make your meat balls really fluffy and tasty beleive it or not.
I did made a few changes, my Mexican husband wanted me to add a pinch of cumin and a chopped chipotle. I substitued a 16 oz bag of tiny baby carrots,frozen loose corn and 2 cans of diced tomatoes for the stewed tomatoes mentioned in step 1. I cooked 1/4c of dry rice in the microwave and used it in the meatballs instead of the cornflakes. I used about 1/3 of the cilantro in the soup base. Oh and I cooked the meatballs in the oven first. This is really delicious soup that I will definately make again!