2 hrs 45 mins
Buster's friend's Note:
This recipe was a spur of the moment when I needed to cook up a mighty big Costco package of super lean ground beef. I made several dishes & this was the star - so much so DH kept saying, "Now where did you get this really good sausage?", as he went for this soup. He asked for it again, soon, so I reckoned I had better write it down. The spice from the meatballs really nicely permeated the soup. Gets better the next 2 days - beyond that I dunno as it is tee totally gone. Will try it with diced canned tomatoes next. FTR I used freeze dried onion & corn from Honeyville Grains - same measurements ( http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/freezedriedvegetables.aspx ) - I am really enjoying their freeze dried vegetables & steel cut oats. Do chill the meatballs & broth - this enables one to really reduce the fat content but doesn't sacrifice the flavor at all. I think I am going to make a triple batch & freeze the meatballs in broth - eliminating the chilling part of the preparation. Double it & freeze one - it's that good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, whole
- 2 teaspoons garlic, granulated
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2Lightly but thoroughly mix all the ingredients with the ground beef.
- 3Form into pecan sized balls & lightly brown in skillet.
- 4Place meatballs in refrigeratable (sp?) container large enough to hold meatballs & broth.
- 5Deglaze pan with several cups of the beef broth. Pour all the broth over the meatballs. Refrigerate several hours.
- 7Take chilled beef broth & meatballs from the refrigerator.
- 8Remove chilled fat from the top of the broth & discard except for one tablespoon.
- 9Saute the onion, celery & oregano in the one tablespoon reserved fat.
- 10Add the cooked rice, sweet corn, beef broth & tomatoes.
- 11Simmer 30 minutes - adjust seasonings to taste, remove from heat & stir in cilantro. Serve with crispy twisty toasted tortilla strips on top.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Albondigas - My Way
Serving Size: 1 (525 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 492.7
- Calories from Fat 189
- Total Fat 21.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 113.3 mg
- Sodium 1526.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 31.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo