Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Recipe source: Coyote Cafe
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp
- 3 tablespoons corn, cooked
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomatoes, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, ground
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili, rehydrated and pureed (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb tomatoes, chopped
- 3 chipotle chiles in adobo, julienned
- 6 cups clam broth (or 6 cups fish stock)
- 12 sprigs cilantro
- Using a food processor or blender mince shrimp using on/off turns. Put into bowl and combine with next 9 ingredients (corn - ancho chile). Mix together and place bowl in a larger bowl which is filled with ice and water so mixture will stay cold.
- In a large pot over medium heat add oil and then saute the sliced onions and garlic. Stir in tomatoes and chipotles, cover and cook for another 25-30 minutes.
- Stir in clam juice or fish stock and bring to a boil.
- Divide shrimp mixture into 12 rounded spoonfuls and poach in the soup for 5 minutes, adding additional clam juice until soup becomes too thick.
- Serve in bowl garnished with cilantro.