Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe "By Three Guys From Miami Cook Cuban" that I adapted a tiny bit. Here is what they state: "Giant Cuban meatballs that put many Italian meatballs to shame!" I can't wait to try this version of meatballs, sounds delicious!! I am posting this for ZWT 9, so untried by me at this time.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cracker crumb (Try Cuban, or Club Crackers. You can also buy prepared crumbs)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped fine
- flour (for rolling meatballs in)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (for frying meatballs)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, cracker crumbs, and milk together. Blend in the ground beef and all remaining ingredients.
- Form mixture into large balls(6-8). Roll in flour to lightly coat and sauté in olive oil until cooked through, remove and set a side while making the sauce in the same pan.
- To make sauce, sauté onion and green pepper in the remaining olive oil(add a tablespoon more if necessary) until translucent. Add mashed garlic during the last minute or two of frying. Drain thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Now add the meatballs back into the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low for about 30 minutes.
These made for several wonderful meals - first when I served it with a pea soup from Scandinavia and then for lunch today and also for tomorrow. This recipe makes several albondigas and they are filling. Great flavor!!