Prep 50 mins
Cook 30 mins
Authentic Mexican meatball soup... Que sabor!!!
- 1⁄2 bolillo-type bread, in pieces
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 5 tomatillos, cleaned and quartered
- 8 mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 kg ground beef
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 50 g chihuahua-style cheese, cut in small cubes
the following is for the stock
- 4 large tomatoes, quartered
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 -2 chipotle chile
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 -5 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- In a small receptacle, soak the bolillo in milk for 5 minutes. Grind well the onion and garlic in a mortar.
- Add the tomatillos, mint, cumin, and grind together until it forms a paste. Add the mixture to the ground beef, salt and pepper, and mix well with your hands. Form Albondiga meatballs about 4 cm in diameter with a piece of the Chihuahua cheese inside. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, blend the tomatoes, onion, garlic, chiles and water in a blender to a puree.
- In a large pot, heat the oil and then add the puree. Let it boil around 8 minutes and then add the stock, bay leaf, and salt to taste Bring to a boil again. Reduce the flame and let it cook 5 minute. Add the Albondigas and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes. Spicy!