Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A Mexican soup best topped with fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 lb ground chuck
- 1⁄2 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup instant rice, uncooked
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper (to taste )
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies (canned, drained )
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 14 1⁄2 ounces stewed canned tomatoes
- 4 cups hot water
- 2 cups low-fat beef broth or 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons cilantro
- In a bowl, combine beef, onion, garlic, rice, egg, salt and pepper to taste.
- Form into 1 1/2" meatballs. Place chilies and shredded carrots in bottom of slow cooker.
- Spoon tomatoes evenly on top. Place meatballs on top of tomatoes.
- Pour in water, broth, oregano and parsley or cilantro.
- Cover and cook on LOW 5 1/2 to 6 hours.
I added potatoe and zucchini . I also added oregano to the broth. It was delicious. Thanks for posting.
this is the way most here in ariz. make it,sooo good.