Recipe by jan007
I grew up on this delicious berry in the little town of Albion Washington where the gooseberry patches grew bountifully.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup boiling water
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 3 cups gooseberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Pie Crust: In bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Set aside.
- Put shortening in a quart size bowl, pour boiling water over, with fork mix until creamy.
- Add flour mixture and mix into a dough.
- Chill 1 hour.
- Roll out for double crust 9 inch pie.
- Combine gooseberries, 1 cup sugar, and water and cook until berries are tender.
- Mix remaining sugar, flour, salt and spices together.
- Stir into gooseberries and cool.
- Preheat oven 450' degrees F.
- Pour into prepared pie shell, dot with butter, top with crust, seal edges, prick top with fork.
- Bake At 450' degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Reduce to 350' degrees F and bake 25 minutes longer.