Recipe by ciao
This casserole was found on the net in response to a post. It was from Lois Morgan of Rocklin. I have not made it yet, but it sounds delicious.
Top Review by Dib's
This was really Good!!! Because I have vegetarians as well as meat eaters, I used ground tofu. I also used Enchilada sauce over the tomato sauce and 1 can of green chili's. The Corn crust was lovely, soft and full of flavor. The topping and cheese made a lovely presentation, and the whole dish was full of flavor. My two oldest had their boyfriends over for dinner and they inhaled what would have been for lunch the next day. The next time I will make two recipes worth for dinner. Thanks for posting this recipe. Di
- 1 1⁄4 cups albers yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups Carnation Evaporated Milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives, drained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- For crust, combine the cornmeal, salt, evaporated milk and water in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently for 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove 1/2 cup, cover with plastic wrap.
- Spread the remaining cornmeal mixture on bottom and sides of greased 8-inch square baking dish.
- Cool for 2 to 3 minutes if necessary.
- Bake in preheated 425-degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- For filling, brown beef, garlic, onion and bell pepper in large skillet; drain.
- Add corn, olives, tomato sauce, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Spoon into cornmeal crust.
- Drop rounded teaspoons of remaining cornmeal mixture on top of meat, sprinkle with cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes.