1/1 Photo of Albanian Walnut Cake With Lemon Glaze
1 hr 15 mins
I have not tried this cake yet. It is supposed to be moist and rich, but not overly sweet. I'm posting this for the Zaar World Tour. It's from a Moosewood cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (or additional 1/3 cup yogurt)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon rind
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, and then mix in the eggs.
- 3Blend the yogurt with the buttermilk.
- 4Sift together the cake dry ingredients and add them alternating with the yogurt mixture into the egg mixture.
- 5Stir in the lemon rind and walnuts.
- 6Pour the batter into a buttered 9X13 baking pan and bake for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The cake will still be moist.
- 7Make the glaze by simmering together all the ingredients, covered, for about 15 minutes.
- 8Remove the cinnamon stick.
- 9When the cake is done, remove it from the oven, turn off the oven, pour the glaze over the hot cake and return it to the oven for about 10 minutes.
- 10Cut the cake into squares and serve it warm or cool.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Albanian Walnut Cake With Lemon Glaze
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.0
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 52.4 mg
- Sodium 226.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 30.2 g
- Protein 5.2 g