Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Albanian pies are made of thin pastry leaves which can be rolled out at home or bought as filo dough. They tend to be on the salty side rather than sweet so if you like onit the salt.
- 1 cup oil, preferably olive oil
- 30 pastry dough, leaves (Filo dough)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs spinach, chopped
- 1 cup diced feta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 2 -3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- Use a medium-sized round baking pan.
- Brush the baking pan with some of the oil.
- Start laying the pastry leaves inside.
- First, lay two leaves, sprinkle or brush with oil, then lay two other leaves, and repeat the procedure until half of the leaves are used.
- Make sure that they overlap the edges of the pan by about 1 inch.
- Sprinkle spinach with salt (optional), and mix well by hand.
- Add the feta cheese, oil, onions, eggs and salt (optional)
- Spread the mixture over the already laid pastry leaves.
- Cover the spinach with the rest of the pastry leaves repeating the first-half procedure.
- Roll the hanging edges of the bottom leaves over the pie (like a pizza crust).
- Sprinkle top with oil
- Bake at 350°F for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve hot, accompanied with buttermilk, or beaten yogurt, thinned down in cold water or with chilled stewed prunes.