1/1 Photo of Albanian Spinach Pie (Byrek Me Spinaq or Pite)
Albanians love savory pies and I do too. They make theirs with filo dough. Any combination of greens can be used in this recipe. You can even add other vegetables as well, such as mushrooms. If the additional vegetables used will be watery, towards the end of baking you might want to cut steam vents in the filo dough. Albanians eat this pie hot accompanied by buttermilk or beaten yogurt thinned down with cold water, or with chilled stewed prunes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1(NOTE: A round cake or pie pan is recommended because it's more authentic but any similar sized pan will do).
- 2Brush the pan with some of the oil, and start laying the filo leaves inside. First, lay two leaves, sprinkle or brush with oil, then lay two other leaves, and repeat the procedure until HALF of the leaves are laid. Make sure that they cover the pan by hanging them about one inch over the edges of the pan. Change directions, so that the entire pan is evenly covered.
- 3Sprinkle spinach with salt, then mix well by hand. Let sit for a minute.
- 4Add the feta cheese, onions, eggs and stir.
- 5Spread spinach mixture over the filo leaves in the pan.
- 6Cover the spinach with the rest of the pastry leaves repeating the first-half procedure.
- 7Roll the hanging edges of the bottom leaves over the pie (think of a pizza crust), sprinkle top with oil.
- 8Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Albanian Spinach Pie (Byrek Me Spinaq or Pite)
Serving Size: 1 (429 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 965.3
- Calories from Fat 544
- Total Fat 60.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 126.3 mg
- Sodium 1569.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 23.6 g