Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Albanians love savory pies and I do too. They make theirs with filo dough. Any combination of greens can be used in this recipe. You can even add other vegetables as well, such as mushrooms. If the additional vegetables used will be watery, towards the end of baking you might want to cut steam vents in the filo dough. Albanians eat this pie hot accompanied by buttermilk or beaten yogurt thinned down with cold water, or with chilled stewed prunes.
- 3⁄4 cup oil, preferably olive oil
- 30 sheets phyllo dough
- 1 1⁄2 lbs spinach, chopped
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- (NOTE: A round cake or pie pan is recommended because it's more authentic but any similar sized pan will do).
- Brush the pan with some of the oil, and start laying the filo leaves inside. First, lay two leaves, sprinkle or brush with oil, then lay two other leaves, and repeat the procedure until HALF of the leaves are laid. Make sure that they cover the pan by hanging them about one inch over the edges of the pan. Change directions, so that the entire pan is evenly covered.
- Sprinkle spinach with salt, then mix well by hand. Let sit for a minute.
- Add the feta cheese, onions, eggs and stir.
- Spread spinach mixture over the filo leaves in the pan.
- Cover the spinach with the rest of the pastry leaves repeating the first-half procedure.
- Roll the hanging edges of the bottom leaves over the pie (think of a pizza crust), sprinkle top with oil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve hot.
I tried this recipe. It was very tasty, delicious and savory.