Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from week four of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook one meal from every country on Earth, and Albania is my fourth stop. These little cookies are not very sweet, but they are delicious. The date on top is more than enough to make up for what the dough lacks in sugar.
For the cookies
- 1 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup ground walnuts
For the syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Put the orange juice, oil and vanilla extract into a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients, then add to the orange juice mixture until a soft dough forms.
- Break off pieces of the dough and roll into 1 1/2 inch balls. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, and press one date into the center of each cookie.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- After the cookies have cooled, spread the crushed walnuts out on a plate. Mix together the water, sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan and bring just to a boil over the stove.
- Dip each cookie into the syrup, then press the bottom of the cookie into the walnuts. Repeat until all the cookies are done.