Recipe by KateL
For "My Food Odyssey", this came from the United Albania website. The mint makes this distinctive. I think beans cook up best (and quickly) in a pressure cooker, but this may also be simmered for 2 hours on the stove.
- 2 cups dry white beans
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint, chopped
- salt, to taste
- chili powder, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil beans in hot water in an uncovered pot for 5 minutes. Rinse and boil for another 15 minutes in a covered stock pot in 3 cups hot water.
- Saute onion in olive oil until it turns yellow. Add 2 tablespoons bean stock from the pot along with tomato sauce, parsley, salt and chili powder to taste.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until a thick sauce is formed, then pour everything into the pot. Add chopped mint, cover tightly and cook on High pressure for 30 minutes in a pressure cooker (or simmer 2 hours on stove). This should produce a thick juice, covering beans by inch.
- Serve hot.