Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 500 g basmati rice
- 1 medium roasting chicken
- 1 kg black cherries (or cherry)
- 1 kg sugar
- 2 medium onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
- cooking oil
- black pepper
- Wash black cherries (or cherries) and remove the stones.
- Add sugar. If you are using cherries rather than black (sour) cherries, less sugar can be used.
- Bring to boil. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool down completely.
- Remove the extra syrup.
- Peel and thinly slice onions.
- Wash chicken.
- Add onions, salt, black pepper, and a glass of hot water, and cook over medium heat for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then remove bones.
- Filter the chicken juice and save for later use.
- Follow instructions for preparing Polow until rice is rinsed.
- Pour 2 spoonfuls of cooking oil and half a glass of hot water in a pot.
- Follow with half of the rinsed rice and the black cherries (or cherries), and mix well.
- Cover with half of remaining rice.
- Spread chicken over the rice, and cover with the remaining rice. Shape into a cone.
- Mix 2-3 spoonfuls of cooking oil with black cherry (or cherry) syrup and chicken juice. Pour the mix over rice.
- Cover the pot and cook in an oven or over low heat for about one hour.
- When cooked, remove some of the rice and mix with saffron dissolved in a bit of hot water.
- When serving, spread saffron-rice over Albaloo-Polow.