Recipe by COOKGIRl
Yet another Trader Joe's copycat recipe for one of their excellent pre-packaged salads. Perfectly acceptable to use canned tuna, but for a real treat try some fresh albacore! Please note that all of my ingredient amounts are estimated.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
I made this excellent tuna pasta salad for myself for lunch today and am looking forward to sharing the leftovers with DH for our lunch tomorrow. Like another reviewer indicated, I liked that this salad does not seem heavy. The lemon gives it a light, fresh flavor. I used a good white wine vinegar and I reduced the sugar by half; as like another reviewer, I do not like my dressings to be too sweet. With this modification, it was perfect for me. I used fresh dill and may add even a little more next time as I really enjoyed the dill flavor in this salad. I will definitely make this again. Thanks for posting!
- 473.18 ml bow tie pasta
- 226.79 g fresh albacore tuna, drained (or 2 cans tuna, drained)
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- 1 red onion, cut into crescents
- 9.85 ml capers
- 29.58 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 118.29 ml rice vinegar or 118.29 ml white wine vinegar
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 4.92 ml Dijon mustard
- 4.92 ml lemon zest
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml salt
- 2.46 ml dried dill weed or 14.79 ml fresh dill weed
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse under cold water to halt cooking. Drain.
- Broil or pan fry fresh tuna. Set aside. (If using canned tuna, drain and place the tuna in a serving bowl and proceed with recipe.).
- Combine dressing ingredients in non-reactive bowl and blend well.
- Break up the fresh tuna into bite size pieces and place in serving bowl with the pasta. Toss dressing gently with the pasta, tuna and remaining salad ingredients.
- Keep covered and chilled until ready to serve.