Yet another Trader Joe's copycat recipe for one of their excellent pre-packaged salads. Perfectly acceptable to use canned tuna, but for a real treat try some fresh albacore! Please note that all of my ingredient amounts are estimated.
- 2 cups bow tie pasta
- 8 ounces fresh albacore tuna, drained (or 2 cans tuna, drained)
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- 1 red onion, cut into crescents
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar or 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill weed or 1 tablespoon fresh dill weed
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse under cold water to halt cooking. Drain.
- Broil or pan fry fresh tuna. Set aside. (If using canned tuna, drain and place the tuna in a serving bowl and proceed with recipe.).
- Combine dressing ingredients in non-reactive bowl and blend well.
- Break up the fresh tuna into bite size pieces and place in serving bowl with the pasta. Toss dressing gently with the pasta, tuna and remaining salad ingredients.
- Keep covered and chilled until ready to serve.