Recipe by Peppermint Shannon
This is an old family recipe from my friend Alayne's Italian Grandmother, enjoy!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 (26 ounce) jarsfrancesco rinaldi tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 2 eggs
- 10 ounces ricotta cheese (whole or part skim alright)
- 1 piece salt pork, 2 in x 2 in, this is the backfat of the pig, fattest area
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- salt & pepper
- 12 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh parmesan cheese
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- lasagna noodle
Directions See How It's Made
- Take ground beef and make mini meatballs, the size of nickels.
- Saute garlic and onion in olive oil until translucent.
- To the garlic and onion, pour 1 1/2 jars of sauce into pot (reserve remainder), add salted pork piece, salt/pepper, oregano, parsley and mini meatballs.
- Let simmer for 45 minutes on the stove, until meatballs are thoroughly cooked.
- While sauce is simmering, start to boil big pot of water (will take 30-35 minute to start boiling) then put in noodles for last 10 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese with the two eggs.
- When meatballs are cooked, remove pork fat from sauce.
- Put a small amount of the remaining tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish, just enough to coat the bottom.
- Place noodles on sauce, on top of noodles put half of cheesy mixture and then combine sauce/meatballs, keep layering with cheese, sauce, meatballs, until your lasagna is formed.
- On the top layer, put just sauce and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Pour a small amount of water, about 1 ounce, in each corner and then lightly sprinkle water on top of lasagna to steam.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in oven at 400 degrees for 45 min to 1 hour.