This recipe is based on Julesong’s Mendenhall Sourdough Gingerbread, with some modifications and my addition of fresh Alaskan blueberries!
- 118.29 ml dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 118.29 ml butter
- 118.29 ml molasses
- 1 large egg
- 354.88 ml unbleached flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 9.85 ml ground ginger or 59.14 ml chopped candied ginger
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
- 118.29 ml hot water
- 236.59 ml sourdough starter
- 473.18 ml fresh cleaned blueberries
- vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly butter and flour a 8"x8" baking pan.
- Cream together the brown sugar and butter.
- Then add molasses and egg, beating continuously; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift dry ingredients together and blend into hot water.
- Then beat this mixture into creamed mixture.
- Gradually add the sourdough starter slowly, mixing carefully to maintain a bubbly batter.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and bake at 375 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until done (when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean).
- Serve warm with good quality vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.