Top Review by Sydney Mike
Although the blueberry flavor didn't come through much for us, the berries did add an additional moisture to the gingerbread, & that was just fine! Definitely worth making especially if you enjoy gingerbread as much as we do! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup recipe tag]
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger or 1⁄4 cup chopped candied ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 2 cups fresh cleaned blueberries
- vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly butter and flour a 8"x8" baking pan.
- Cream together the brown sugar and butter.
- Then add molasses and egg, beating continuously; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift dry ingredients together and blend into hot water.
- Then beat this mixture into creamed mixture.
- Gradually add the sourdough starter slowly, mixing carefully to maintain a bubbly batter.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and bake at 375 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until done (when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean).
- Serve warm with good quality vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.