Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My brother gave me this recipe and I made it for my family and they went nuts! It was out of this world delicious! You can use any seafood you want but it is a must to have smoked salmon. MY daughter who is 14 LOVED it.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup diced potato
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 1⁄4 ounces cream-style corn (secret ingridient)
- 1⁄2 pint half-and-half
- 1 (8 ounce) package smoked salmon
- salt and pepper
- Saute onions, celery, green pepper and garlic till tender.
- Combine broth, shredded carrots, potato and cream corn.
- Bring to a low boil and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Add smoked salmon and additional seafood if you wish.
- Pour in half and half, simmer for about 8 to 10 min and serve.
Many thanks to my sister Melisa who submited this recipe for me. This chowder recipe came to me by way of a lovely woman in Anchorage, Alaska who's family had lived there for generations. This recipe was a favorite in their family. I was fortunate enough to include Alaskan King Crab fresh from Dutch Harbor in the version I made. I've never had a better seafood chowder.
Nice, hearty chowder. The smoked salmon I used wasn't especially smoky, so the chowder wasn't quite as flavorful as it could have been. (Not the fault of the recipe, though.)
This is a really delicious soup. Easy to put together and a great use for smoked salmon. It gives a perfect sweet/smoky flavor to the chowder. Thanks so much for posting this recipe. I couldn't find an 8-1/4 oz. can of creamed corn only 14-1/4 oz. I used that and it was the perfect amount.