Chef #379453's Note:
Have been looking for a recipe for Sourdough Sauce for Years ! Finally found one posted 5 years ago ! Don't you LOVE the internet ! They called it Cranberry Ketchup and said they got the original recipe from "The Good Stuff Cookbook", but had changed a few things. Serve this sauce with pork or turkey or salmon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup onion, mild, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 4 slices orange zest (1-inch wide from top to bottom of orange)
- 9 cups fresh cranberries (3 - 12oz bags)
- 1 cup cider vinegar (or more if needed)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed (or more if needed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1Combine onion, water and orange in a preserving pan. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer covered until onion pieces are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- 2Add cranberries to the pan and return to a boil. Partially cover the pan and cook mixture, stirring occasionally, until the berries are quite soft, about 10 minutes. Pour into a bowl and cool slightly.
- 3Scrape half the mixture at a time into a food processor. Puree the batches to a moderately fine texture and return to rinsed out preserving pan.
- 4Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil, stirring almost constantly, until it is thick, about 3-5 minutes. When it has reached a ketchup like consistency, (adjusted for taste with additional water, vinegar and brown sugar if needed) press through a sieve and return to pan.
- 5Return to a boil and then ladle into sterilized jars leaving 1/4" headspace. Add two piece lids and process for 15 minute sin a boiling water bath. Cool, label and store for up to a year.
- 6Ketchup is ready to serve within a few days but improves with age. If solids and liquids separate slightly in storage, just stir.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alaska Sourdough Sauce - Cranberry Ketchup
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 69.4
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 181.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 0.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: