Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is the best recipe for smoked salmon dip I've tried. It comes from my dad, an Alaskan commercial fisherman, who makes the best smoked fish around. This dip is creamier than a lot of the pate' style smoked salmon spreads. You won't find your chips and crackers snapping in half as you go in for a dip. The green onions give it a little added texture and the garlic makes it more savory. If you don't have your own smoked salmon, you can always buy some at the supermarket. Just make sure it's wild Alaskan salmon!
- 12 ounces smoked salmon, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese, warmed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 bunch green onion, finely chopped
- Warm cream cheese in the microwave until slightly runny.
- Mix cream cheese with chopped smoked salmon until combined.
- Stir in tobasco, sour cream and mayonnaise until smoothly combined.
- Stir in garlic and green onions.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (to let the flavors mingle and get to know each other).
- Serve with crackers, tortilla chips, french bread, pretzel rods, celery sticks or your favorite dip-delivery implement!
I'm from Alaska and catch/smoke my own salmon. This is the ONLY salmon dip recipe that I use. I've found that other recipes have unnecessary ingredients that just overpower the fish but this dip is perfectly balanced. I follow it to a T and it turns out fantastic. More recently, I've been making minor adjustments just for my own preference. I add about 1 tsp of dried dill and reduce the mayo and sour cream by just a bit (not much, maybe just a couple of spoonfuls less of each). I let it sit in the refrigerator overnight and it is phenomenal the next day. I suggest that you let the flavors develop overnight, it just gets that much better!
Excellent salmon dip!! One of the best I have had and I work for an Alaskan seafood company, so that's saying a lot!
I have just made your dip, I couldn't resist trying it once finished, it tasted nice. I am going to let it sit in the fridge for 5 hrs before trying it. There is plenty there & I am going to share this with my neighbour who is really looking forward to trying it. Thank you for sharing your recipe.