Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Cooking Light. Sept 2002. Uses applesauce.
Make and share this Alaska Molasses Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- cooking spray
- Spoon applesauce onto several layers of heavy-duty paper towels; spread to 1/2-inch thickness. Cover with additional paper towels; let stand 5 minutes. Scrape into a bowl using a rubber spatula.
- Combine applesauce, 1 cup sugar, and butter; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 3 minutes). Add molasses and egg; beat well.
- Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours and next 5 ingredients (flours through cloves), stirring well with a whisk.
- Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture, beating until blended. Cover and freeze dough 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- With moist hands, shape dough into 32 (1-inch) balls. Roll balls in 1/4 cup sugar. Place 3 inches apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375° for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.