Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is an excellent way to serve rolled topside of beef.I like to serve it with roast potatoes and Brussells sprouts and carrotts(Any veg. would do of course.) Excellent main meal for dinner parties etc... This makes plenty of sauce which can be saved and served with other dishes.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs piece of rolled topside beef
- 8 slices streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1⁄4 pint red wine
- 1⁄2 pint beef stock
- 1 bouquet garni
- 4 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- salt and pepper
- Brown the meat in a heavy based casserole.
- Remove the joint from the casserole and drain on absorbent paper.
- Put the bacon in the casserole and heat gently until the fat starts to run.Increase the heat and fry until crisp, then remove the bacon and set aside.
- Lower the heat and fry the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes.Sprinkle in the flour and cook for 2 minutes,stirring,then pour in the wine and stock and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Return the beef and bacon to the casserole.
- Add the bouquet garni,and season to taste.
- Cover the dish and cook in a pre-heated oven(350 deg F.),for 1 hour.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, and cook for another hour.
- Remove from oven and take the beef out and set aside.
- Put the sauce into a liquidiser and blend
- until smooth.Pour back into the dish and bring to a boil.Boil rapidly,stirring,until.
- the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Slice the beef and serve with the sauce
- spooned over.Put remaining sauce into a sauce-boat and serve separately.