Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
I just love this dish.Making it and eating it. The presentation is so appetising. No special preparation required. I like to serve it with garlic baguettes and a glass or two of wine.Yummeee!!
- 4 ounces macaroni
- 1 ounce butter or 1 ounce margarine
- 1 ounce plain flour
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 teaspoon English mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons white breadcrumbs
- 1 ounce grated cheddar cheese
- Cook the macaroni in plenty of salted water for 5mins.Drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan,melt the butter.(Be careful not to overheat the pot at this stage by removing from the cooker).Off the heat,stir in the flour.Cook this mixture gently under the minimum heat setting for 3-4minutes.Remove the pot from the hob if it gets too hot(all you're doing here is releasing the gluten from the flour).
- Take the pot off the hob and gently work in the milk a little at a time to make a smooth cream.Gradually work in all the milk,stirring continuously(wooden spoon or balloon whisk.
- Return to hob and turned up full,stir continuously until sauce begins to boil.Reduce heat,add mustard powder and grated cheese and stir till cheese melts and a smooth sauce is made.
- Add macaroni to the pot and stir well in.Pour this into a gratin dish and sprinkle over with the grated cheese/breadcrumb mix.
- Now place the dish under a pre-heated grill(full power),and grill until golden brown.