Recipe by Alan Leonetti
Growing up, my brother and I each had our favorite birthday cakes that our mother would make. This 3-layer cake was my favorite.
- 3⁄4 cup Crisco
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 4 beaten egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 drops red food coloring (for middle layer of cake)
- 1 confectioners' sugar (for icing)
- 1 orange juice (for icing)
- 1 lemon juice (for icing)
- 1 butter (for icing)
- 1 drop red food coloring (for icing) or 1 drop blue food coloring (for icing)
Directions See How It's Made
- After mixing the Crisco, sugar, salt, cake flour, baking powder, 1 1/4 cups water & egg whites together, divide evenly into 3 soup bowls, so that you can add something different to each layer.
- In the 1st layer add 1/2 teaspoon almond flavor.
- In the 2nd layer add 3 drops red food coloring & 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- In the 3rd layer add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon cloves, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon baking soda, 2 tablespoons cocoa & 2 tablespoons water.
- Grease & lightly flour 3 round layer cake pans & pour contents of each bowl into each pan.
- Bake in preheated oven at 360 degrees about 30 minutes or until when the cake is punctured with a wooden toothpick the toothpick comes out clean with no cake crumbs sticking to the toothpick.
- Do not open oven door prior to 30 minutes, or the cake may fall.
- Place a cake plate on top of the brown layer & turn upside down, so that the cake will easily drop out of the pan onto the cake plate.
- Spread a thin layer of icing on top of the brown layer.
- Carefully drop the pink layer on top of the iced brown layer, & then spread a thin layer of icing on top of the pink layer.
- Carefully drop the white layer on top of the pink layer, & then thickly ice the entire cake on top & around the sides.
- Place cake, uncovered, into refrigerator so that the icing will become even more firm.
- Also, do not allow icing to be too runny, as it must be very firm.
- Remember, you may use canned/store bought icing if you desire.